Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Zen and the Art of Organization

I gots a faintsy new mariposa fountain in my office.
It is awesome.

Between the fountain, the lamp light, the oscillating ceramic heater, the Michael Chapdelaine playing on iTunes and the Pumpkin Spice Latte, I am surrounded by comfort and serenity.

Which is just a big help when I'm sitting here about to have a panic attack because "What am I going to teach the fourth graders on Thursday?  No seriously, what????"

I'm sitting here bitterly lamenting our lack of a keyboard lab.  How did elementary music teachers do it in the days before MIE labs and split-channel CDs and Orff instruments?  I wish I had a more thorough grounding in elementary methods - I feel like we were taught to lean on technology and resources that aren't universally available.  Dude, for Secondary students, I need one piano and one white board and there's a year's worth of classes.  But put me with 5th graders and down and I need a room full of P85s, books with seasonal songs and accompaniment tracks, little tiny xylophones and all those delightful Music Ed Films like Beethoven Lives Upstairs and Liszt's Rhapsody and Rossini's Ghost, lest I be reduced to playing Musical Hangman.

As both of my followers are (1) teachers/caregivers of young 'uns themselves and (2) used to dealing with kids younger than mine, I welcome suggestions with open arms!

Update: Mr. W just gave me a great idea!  So the lesson's all planned now!  That and I found time to practice for a December wedding coming up.  What a perfect day!

2 comments:

  1. Hi friend! I've been thinking about you a lot...
    Now, I see that it's probably b/c you and I are about stressed to our limits.
    Glad you got an idea of something to teach them!
    Just think: it's good you're getting all this experience with multiple levels...it makes you a more well-rounded music educator :)

    I miss and love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I didn't see this in time, but I am glad you figured something out cause my musical knowledge is LIMITED to knowing (most of the time) the different genres of music!! LOL! In my opinion fourth grade is kind of hard because they want to be grown up but aren't quite ready to be.

    Keep 'em busy is my best advice for you! It works for 3 year olds, 7 year olds, 14 year olds, and even adults most of the time!

    ReplyDelete