Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Honor Choruses

Last Saturday, I served as an Honor Chorus accompanist for the second time (first time was 2008), with two gap years in between.  During the 2009 event, I had started my first teaching job with a brand-new choral department altogether and chose not to participate in any of the GMEA events, and in 2010 I sent my kids and just did the typical monitor-rehearsal-turn-pages duty.

In the 2008 Honor Chorus, the teacher with whom I student taught was directing the Senior Women's group and invited me to accompany for her.  To be honest, it was a tough experience.  I was seriously depressed over not having found a teaching position and was really struggling with the transition between college and married life.   Also, our shoebox apartment would not accomodate my piano, so I had to leave it at my mom's house and cram in practice sessions whenever I could.  Here's how pitiful I was: I would sometimes go back to my old college and practice in one of the practice rooms there just to be back because I missed the place and the people so much.  I came to the event less prepared than I should have been; the conductor was exceedingly patient with me on this front and it all came out in the wash on the recording.  But the hardest part was working with the kids and seeing what could have been if only I had interviewed more, had a better resume, worked harder, cast a wider net, blah blah blah blah...  I went home and cried both nights, certain that I was a complete failure for not having a school job.

What a contrast from that year to this one.  This time, I had a house with a piano in it and could practice until I fell over.  This time, I played for a choir that contained kids from my previous school and my current one, all of whom I glanced at frequently with a combination of mother-hen protectiveness and pride.  This time, I eagerly circled pieces in my program and listened to warm up routines that I might take back to my kids.  This time, when I watched the other groups perform, I saw familiar faces in each one.  Despite being sickly and coughing and such, it was still a wonderful experience. 

I love my job.  I love my kids.  I love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment